The previous week I attended to the Microsoft Inner Circle Partner Summit in Rome about Visual Studio and ALM (Application Lifecycle Management) topics.
Brian Harry announced the availability of Visual Studio 2010 for the Q1-2010, while the RC should be shipped for the end of the year.
The only certain thing is the product launch that will be held on march 22nd, at this moment is also sure that the RTM will be made available a little bit earlier or a little bit later :-P
The suite has been rebranded and the Team System name is gone on retirement (well officially the last Team System brand name will be the 22nd march)!
There are going to be 3 main products:
- Visual Studio 2010 Professional/MSDN (more or less is Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition)
- Visual Studio 2010 Premium/MSDN
- Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate/MSDN
But the big stuff are on the supporting tools:
- Visual Studio Test Elements 2010 to create test cases and manages test execution (manually or partially automated);
- Visual Studio Team Lab Management 2010 to integrate and automate the virtual machines management in the ALM;
- Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010 now installable on Windows 7/Vista, included with MSDN and also with the CAL!
In the following pics the features stack of the different VS products:
These are the technology enablers to build real software farms!
More when I will have the time to delivery and reorganize our internal procedures of Milan Campus to leverages the new features!