It’s a couple of weeks that I’m receiving a notification ad every boot of my Windows 7 RC Laptop reminding me to backup data because it will expires in july without providing me the opportunity to recover data and application.
I’ve just planned 2 day to reinstall everything but thanks to my friend AndreaR (the cyborg) I used this article to upgrade.
- Get a Win 7 RC copy from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx
- Unzip it to an external disk (a USB key is fine)
- Open the file .\sources\cversion
- Change from MinClient=7x00.0 to MinClient=7000.0
- Launch .\setup.exe and the upgrade
I know, it’s the “italian way” very pragmatic. I guess that upgraded process hasn’t been fully tested so that it has blocked by MS.
In my case it worked great (it took a couple of hours to be completed)